Southern Fried Rabbit with Spicy Coleslaw
1 whole Rabbit, cut into 8 pieces
3 cups Buttermilk
2-3 cups Flour
2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
1 head Cabbage
1 peeled and shredded carrot
1/2 jar juice from Stump's Hot Olives
10-15 Stump's Hot Olives, sliced
3 tsp Mayonnaise
This is an old fashioned recipe with a new-fashioned side dish! Plan ahead when using this recipe; rabbit needs to marinate overnight.
- Place rabbit pieces in large ziploc bag (or glass pan). Cover with buttermilk, and place in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Heat frying oil in large skillet. (There should be enough oil to cover rabbit 1/2 way when placed in pan.)
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic in bowl. Take rabbit out of marinade and dredge in flour mix.
- Place rabbit pieces in hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides, at least 2 minutes.
- Place rabbit pieces in oven-ready pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-18 minutes or until interior temperature is 165°F.
- Shred 1/2 head of cabbage. Mix with shredded carrot and sliced olives.
- In another bowl, mix olive juice, mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over cabbage mix. Slice a couple olives to place on top as garnish.
Yield: 4 servings